Monday, August 9, 2010

mmmmm... blueberry scones

I'm not a morning person, and that includes eating breakfast. I love breakfast foods, but I'm usually not ready for a meal until I've been up for a few hours. I've learned that this is bad for an already slow metabolism, so in an effort to make something quick to grab for breakfast I've been trying out healthy muffin and quickbread recipes. Last week I made banana bran muffins and pineapple bran wholewheat quickbread (yay, fiber!) - sorry no pics. Those turned out so well, I decided to try scones today. Although this recipe wasn't as healthy (hey - it still had some wheat flour instead of just white, and fresh blueberries) as the previous ones, I made smaller portions to cut back on the calories. I love scones, but you never know what you're going to get when you buy them (even though I never buy them pre-packaged/processed - only at yummy places like Danish Pastry House (outpost at the City Hall Farmer's Market)).

Quite easy to make (I substituted fresh blueberries for frozen) - here they are 1/2 way through baking:

I added 5 minutes to the cooking time (they weren't quite done at 20 minutes) and put them on a wire rack to cool.
Of course I couldn't wait to try one, especially since I already had a nice hot cup of coffee waiting:
Fresh out of the oven, these scones were light and delicious. I'm sure they'll taste different once I've given them a chance to cool, and next time I might omit the cream cheese, but this recipe makes a perfect scone!

No comments: