Sunday, July 12, 2009

Disappointment


It wasn't as if I had high hopes for Public Enemies - I should say that I'm not a fan of Michael Mann (both director and writer of this movie). However, I thought I'd be entertained for 2+ hours. I found myself laughing at inappropriate moments, mostly because the dialogue was so unbelievable and stilted.


Not even Johnny Depp (LOVE HIM!!!) could save this movie. He was awesome as usual and his co-stars gave good performances too. I enjoyed watching doe eyed beauty, Marion Cotillard, my runner up girl crush after Zooey Deschanel. Christian Bale was tense and focused as the G-Man in charge of getting Dillinger. Numerous favorites had cameos too - Giovanni Ribisi, Lili Taylor, Billy Crudup (creepy as Hoover), Stephen Lang (of Crime Story - one of the only Mann projects I liked), even Diana Krall as a nightclub singer.


The stars, costumes, props, locations - all fantastic and still this movie was a flop. Michael Mann just regurgitates his cliche-ridden, formulaic nonsense - good guy, bad guy, shoot up, love story, bloodshed, the end. This might have worked in the 1930's when movies were young and gangster films were at their bloom but it left me feeling like there was so much potential and no delivery.

No comments: